- بِسْمِ اللهِ الرَّحْمنِ الرَّحِيمِ In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful
- الْحَمْدُ للّهِ رَبِّ الْعَالَمِينَ Praise be to Allah, the Cherisher and Sustainer of the worlds
- الرَّحْمـنِ الرَّحِيمِ Most Gracious, Most Merciful
- مَالِكِ يَوْمِ الدِّينِ Master of the Day of Judgment
- إِيَّاكَ نَعْبُدُ وإِيَّاكَ نَسْتَعِينُ Thee do we worship, and Thine aid we seek
- اهدِنَــــا الصِّرَاطَ المُستَقِيمَ Show us the straight way
- صِرَاطَ الَّذِينَ أَنعَمتَ عَلَيهِمْ غَيرِ المَغضُوبِ عَلَيهِمْ وَلاَ الضَّالِّينَ The way of those on whom Thou hast bestowed Thy Grace, those whose (portion) is not wrath, and who go not astray.
This Surah is named AL-FATIHAH because of its subject-matter. Fatihah is that which opens a subject or a book or any other thing. In other words, Al-Fatihah is a sort of preface.
Period of Revelation
It is one of the very earliest Revelations to the Holy Prophet. As a matter of fact, we learn from authentic Traditions that it was the first complete Surah which was revealed to Muhammed (Allah’s peace be upon him). Before this, only a few miscellaneous verses were revealed which form parts of `ALAQ, MUZ-ZAMMIL, MUD-DATH-THIR, etc.